Vice President for Student Services and Communications and Professor of Communication
- Ph.D. Communication, Regent University, 2003
- M.Div. Southeastern Seminary, 1994
- B.S. Communication, Liberty University, 1989
- Associate Dean for the Professional Doctoral Program, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2006-2009.
- James T. Draper, Jr. Chair of Pastoral Ministry, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2005-present
- Assistant Professor of Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2004-2009
- Professor of Homiletics and Rhetoric, Emmanuel University, Oradea Romania, 2004-present
- Senior Pastor, Salem Baptist Church, Richmond, VA., 1995-2003
- Associate Pastor, Hillcrest Baptist Church, Dallas, Texas, 1991-93
- “Sermon: The Second Shepherd – Jesus the Warrior Messiah and its Implications on Preaching”. The Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society Volume 10. Number 2. September 2010
- Dying to Preach: Embracing the Cross in the Pulpit. Grand Rapids: Kregel. 2009.
- "Guyon", “François Fénelon” Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization. Oxford, Blackwells. 2008.
- “A Christology of Preaching” Southwestern Journal of Theology. Volume 50. Number 2. Spring 2008
- “The Non-Verbal Illustration: Mcluhan, Postman, and the Emerging Preacher”. Spring 2006. Perichoresis. 3.2. 2005.
- Surrendered Communication: The Homiletic Theory of François Fénelon's Dialogue on Preaching. Regent University. 2003.
- Columnist for potheos.com, 2010-present
- "Text Driven Preaching and the Nature of the Church." Expository Preaching Conference. Spring 2009.
- "A Philosophy of Preaching." Expository Preaching Conference. Spring 2008.
- "The Non-Verbal Illustration." Preaching Magazine Conference. April 2006.
- "Imbedded Application." Preaching Magazine Conference. April 2006.
- "Spirit-Driven Application." Expository Preaching Conference. March 2006.
- "A Christology of Preaching." Evangelical Theological Society. November 2006.
- "The Conundrum of Taste: If all Truth is God’s Truth, is all Beauty God’s Beauty?" Faith and Culture Conference. February 2006.
- "Expository Preaching and Application." Conference on Expository Preaching. March 2006.
- "The Non-Verbal Illustration: McLuhan, Postman and the Emerging Preacher." Evangelical Homiletics Society. October 2005.
- "Preaching an Old Testament Narrative." Conference on Expository Preaching. March 2005
- "Expository Preaching: Translating and Communicating Scripture." Man of God Conference, Meridian University. January 2004.
- "The Synchronism of Spirituality of Elvis Presley's 1974 Live Recording of 'How Great Thou Art." North American Pop Culture Association, Toronto, 2001.
- Cairo, Egypt, March 2006
- Oradea, Romania, 2006, 2005, 2010
- Lima, Peru, June 2002
- Paris, France, June 2001
- Eastern Europe, July 1992
- Rio De Jeneiro, Brazil, June 1989
- Amman, Jordan, June 1987
- International travels also include Austria, Chez Republic, Slovakia, Italy, France, Isreal, Germany, Spain, Greece, Serbia, Korea, Philippines, and the United Kingdom
- Appointed to Committee on Committees of the Southern Baptist Convention, 2003
- President, Bible Conference, SBC of Virginia, 2001
- Chairman, Strategy and Planning Committee, SBC of Virginia, 1998-99
- Secretary, Executive Committee, SBC of Virginia, 1995-97
- Evangelical Homiletics Society
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Pop Culture Association
- North American Culture Association
- Spouse: Ashley Cherry Smith of Plano, TX
- Children: Daughters, Jewell & Sydney